Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Unexpected

Monday September 19, 2016

Staffa

Today, the plans changed. The folks working at the Abbey had made a schedule and part of that schedule included a trip to the island of Staffa for those who were interested. The plan had been to go on Wednesday but the forecast is for a very windy rainy day.  So the folks in charge arranged for us to be able to go today. 

Not knowing anything about Staffa I was unsure if I wanted to go, in the end I decided I would, mostly because I wasn't sure what else I would do! 

I am so glad I did. 

The rock formations on Staffa are amazing. (The same type of rock formation as the Giant's Causeway.) And Fingal's cave is something you really need to see in person. We saw seals and even a whale. 


 
The whole day was a unexpected joy. 

When I was climbing along the rocks  I found myself singing / humming the old hymn "How Great Thou Art."

The unexpectedness of the sights and sounds of the days still haven't completely caught up with me. 

It did get me thinking about allowing ourselves to be open to the unexpected. Do we plan everything? Or wait to see what comes? Or are we somewhere in the middle?  

Life of faith can't be completely planned. The Holy Spirit has a way of getting involved in the best made plans. And instead, in the midst of everything else that is going on, whispers to our souls. Reminding us to look around. To soak up the unexpected. To sing the ancient hymns and let the words roll through us. 

"Then songs my soul, my God, how great thou art."


 

No comments:

Post a Comment